Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ranch Update-Dome and Cattle

I missed my newly planted Growing Dome garden during our two week trip for MBB's graduation from Iowa's Writers' Workshop. That said, I didn't visit the dome immediately when we returned. Why? Potential disappointment might be the reason. In the past, I've returned after extended road trips to gardens overrun with squirrels, fire ants, dying plants, and fully mature tomato plants with no tomatoes.

So I busied myself, carrying our belongings into the house, drinking a glass of wine. You know, important stuff. Finally Tom said, "Have you been in the dome, yet?" I set my wine glass down and went for a visit.


The plants really took off while I was gone. Ernest came every couple of days to water, since I have no autodrip system just yet.

Broccoli, yellow bell peppers, radishes, marigolds and tomato plants look like they've been taking steroids! All six tomato plants have tomatoes; little broccolis are emerging. On the other side of the dome, green beans and cukes are blossoming and we will have some cilantro on our "mystery meat" burritos tonight. 

(An aside- Mystery meat? Yeah! I thought it was some regular beef flank steak, but upon thawing it smells like deer meat. But I thought we had eaten it all, so is it elk that Ernest left there? No matter, I put it in the crock pot with a jar of green salsa. I'll let you know how it works out.)

Flowers are taking up veggie space, but make the place quite like a conservatory, don't you think?

The Angus Boys are chillin'. Plants, trees and grasses are greening up a little, but we are experiencing a severe drought. Grass is growing slowly, but these guys seem satisfied. With only 6 steers and 100 acres, there's enough to go around.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, peeps. Remember your departed loved ones and raise a glass to toast their memory.

4 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your growing dome! I love to grow things. I should say that I love planting things. I am not so good at the weeding, pruning, watering, and so. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plants all look wonderful. I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those veggies will be in danger soon when company arrives. Yum Yum

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?